Well, I got my home desktop computer (an ancient Dell Dimension 8200) back up and running today. Yay!
As you may remember reading, we had the power go out during the night a couple of weeks ago. I was too lazy to get out of bed at midnight and unplug this machine. I paid for that laziness because, a couple of hours later the power came back on and when it did, my video card got fried. The screen display was all confused with random blocks of color showing all over the screen when it should have been just the black and white Dell startup screen. It got worse from there.
Well, being the cheapskate that I am, I tried to get an old video card from any one of a couple of buddies at work. After two weeks, I got two video cards from Josh, but neither of them did the trick. So this afternoon, I made the 25 mile trek to Fry's Electronics in Renton and picked up a new video card (nVidia e-GeForce 6200, 256MB, AGP bus) for $59.99. Brought it back home and, two hours after starting out for Renton from Lake Forest Park, I am working at my machine upstairs.
This is the machine that has the software for my Canon camera, so I should be able to start having posts with pictures again soon.
These are the things that interest me. If any of them are of interest to you, great. Read along
- Readin': The School of Essential Ingredients
- Back in Business on my desktop machine at home
- Hoops: UW men now Number 1 in the Pac-10
- Hoops: You can't spell Suck without USC
- Readin': The Tears of Autumn
- Hoops: UW 85 Cal 88 in Triple Overtime!
- Readin': The First Law - Last Argument of Kings
- Hoops: UW 84, Stanford 83
- Tunes: Rebirth Brass Band live at The Tractor Tave...
- Raisin' Fish: Not so cold anymore
- ▼ January (10)
- I'm currently 60 years old. I currently work as the learning management system specialist for American University of Madaba in Madaba, Jordan. I was originally certified as a high-school English teacher and taught school for 13 years (1 year of substituting, 1 year of 7th grade, 2 years of a combined 5th, 6th, 7th grade, 9 years of 8th grade). I've worked for hardware and software companies for the past 23 years doing training, training materials development, certification test development and other education related stuff. My wife and I have raised four children to adulthood; some of them live at home at the moment, but that won't last (they're too independent for that). We live at home with 2 Golden Retrievers, 2 black cats, a crazy cat, and, during the winter, 70,000 coho salmon.